Sunday, April 26, 2015

Berlin

This last week was very eventful. Dad was in Berlin for work and I decided it would be a good idea to buy a last minute ticket to see him. So Saturday night I bought a flight to see him from Sunday until Tuesday. I left early Sunday morning and arrived around noon in Berlin. I was going to get a taxi to the hotel we were staying at, but he surprised me and picked me up. It was so great to see him again! We went to the hotel checked in and then I had to finish up an essay that was due Tuesday morning and email it to a friend to print off for me and hand in. Once that was done we walked around the city, ate a late lunch and then explored some more. We did a lot of walking that night and then headed back to the hotel. We were trying to decide what kind of tour to do to be able to see some of the city. I had found a bus tour and a segway tour, we went with the segway tour.

Here are some pictures from the first night of exploring.


There were a lot of boats on the river



The TV Tower



We woke up early the next morning had breakfast at the hotel and then headed for our segway tour. We had a three hour guided tour of the city. When we got there we had a mini class on how to ride the segways. At first it was a hard to figure out, but once I got the hang of it, it was a blast. During the tour we got to see parts of the wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Hitlers Bunker, the last of Hitlers watchtowers, a Holocaust Memorial, and many other things. There is so much history in Berlin, I learned quite a few things from the tour. By the end of the tour no one wanted to get off the segways, we were having too much fun! After giving them back we went for lunch and then did a bit more walking around the city. We bought a few things and then sat by the river for a bit before heading back to the hotel. We hung out at the hotel for a bit and then went for dinner and walked around for a while because the next morning we were already leaving. 


 Brandenburg Gate
Memorial to all the burned books

 Me & Dad on the Segways

There are many building in Berlin that are built around parts of the wall that still stand. 

Hitlers last watchtower

The hotel that Michael Jackson held his son out the balcony

Me & Dad in front of the Brandenburg gate

Look for us in Mall Cops 3

Throughout the city where the wall used to stand, there are memorial plaques like this one


Memorial to the murdered Jews of the Holocaust.

Berlin Wall

Checkpoint Charlie

Part of the wall

More of the wall

On the outside of many of the buildings you can see bullet holes from the war

We had to get up really early the next morning because we both had early flights. It was so nice to see my dad again! I can't wait to see him in May when I go home! Once I got back to school I had to make sure my paper got turned in and then I had to continue with more work. This is my last week of work here and I am planning a trip to Poland in mid-May right before Brooke comes!!




1 comment:

  1. Only two more blog posts before I'll be there. Wicky wicky woo. 16 days!

    ReplyDelete